The Makerere University Gender Mainstreaming Programme (GMP) was approved by Senate and Council in 2000/2001. Since 2000, institutionalization of gender as a cross cutting theme, has been a priority area in the University’s Strategic Plans. The University’s Strategic Plan (2007/08- 2018/19), recognizes that the cross cutting themes [Quality Assurance, Gender and Information Communication Technology (ICT)] impact on the activities of the University and form the basis of investment in higher education at all levels. Therefore, Makerere University has made deliberate efforts to integrate the cross cutting themes into both her core and support functions and at the same time providing an environment that ensures their growth and consolidation.
The Gender Mainstreaming Directorate (GMD) is the Secretariat for the GMP and its mandate is to mainstream gender in the University functions of teaching and learning; research and innovations; knowledge transfer partnerships and networking and support services. Through the Collegiate System, GMD is committed to integrate gender in the delivery of higher education through the newly established systems and processes.
Makerere University to be an icon of gender equity and equality.
The gender specific mission of Makerere University Gender Mainstreaming Programme is to excel in providing a gender responsive organizational environment and to integrate gender into teaching, learning, research, knowledge transfer partnerships and networking and governance for the benefit of Ugandan stakeholders and those beyond.
1.4 GMP goal and strategic objectives
The ultimate goal of the Gender Mainstreaming Programme is to promote gender equality and women’s empowerment in Makerere University and beyond. The strategic and specific objectives respectively include;
1.4.1 Access, Teaching and Learning
- To advocate for gender balance in access into the University, especially girls from disadvantaged backgrounds and those in science disciplines and contribute to the enhancement of quality graduates.
- To support gender mainstreaming in teaching and learning through engendering of the University curricula.
1.4.2 Research and Innovations
- To support women staff into leadership positions at Makerere University through the provision of Masters and PhD scholarships and capacity building.
- To support gender focused research and publications, and the effective use of the media in order to influence decision-making and policy formulation at the national levels.
1.4.3 Knowledge Transfer Partnerships and Networking
- To promote and advocate for the enactment and effective implementation of gender responsive policies in Makerere University.
- To engage in Knowledge Transfer Partnerships and Networking with gender focused institutions and organizations at the national, regional and international levels.
- To ensure a self-reliant, resourceful and sustainable GMP through resource mobilization and investment.
1.4.4 Support Services
- To promote gender equity and equality in students’ welfare and governance through gender sensitization, personal development and life skills.
- To strengthen Colleges and Administrative units (planning units) to mainstream gender in their work plans, programmes, budgets and M&E Tools.
- To ensure effective and efficient operational management and strategic planning, human resource management and financial management of GMD.